The Japan – U.S. Innovation Awards Symposium has fostered constructive interaction between Japan and the San Francisco/Silicon Valley innovation & entrepreneurship ecosystem. Gain fresh perspectives into ongoing Japan-U.S. innovation and business creation, including case studies for success, not available elsewhere.
Keynote Speaker will be Nest Chief Technology Officer and famed robotics whiz Yoky Matsuoka. Her impressive resume includes working as CEO of health-data startup Quanttus, helping Apple work on its health initiatives in 2016, a professorial role at Carnegie Mellon, and was a founding member of Google X in 2009.
Emerging Leader Awards will be presented to a Japanese and a U.S. company demonstrating very rapid growth and a unique, disruptive innovation and/or business model.
And the Innovation Showcase will recognize up to five exciting Japanese start-up companies. An invitation-only workshop will be curated for these companies connecting them with Silicon Valley resources and mentoring.
- 12:30 – 1:30 Registration
- 1:30 – 1:35 Welcome Remarks by Consul General Tomochika Uyama
- 1:35 – 1:45 Innovation Awards Opening Remarks by Symposium Moderator Richard Dasher, Director of Stanford University’s US-Asia Technology Management Center
- 1:45 – 2:15 Keynote Speech by Dr. Yoky Matsuoka, NEST Chief Technology Officer
- 2:15 – 3:15 Emerging Leader Awards Presentation
- Japan Award Winner:
- MUJIN, Inc., Issei Takino, CEO & Rosen Diankov, Co-Founder
- US Award Winner:
- FogHorn Systems, David King, CEO
- WeWork, Elton Kwok, General Manager, Northern California
- Emerging Leader Award Panel Discussion
- 3:15 – 3:30 BREAK
- 3:30 – 4:30 Innovation Showcase Recognition & Panel Discussion
- Moderator: Ken Yasunaga, Managing Director, Value Creation Investment Group, Innovation Network Corporation of Japan
- ABEJA, Determining Executive Astroscale, Chris Blackerby, COO
- LPixel, Yuki Shimahara, CEO
- Infostellar, Determining Executive
- ispace, Takashi Hakamada, Founder and CEO
- 4:30 – 5:15 Special Panel Discussion: “Exit Patterns for Japanese Startups”
- Michael Tso, CEO, Cloudian
- Kenta Yasukawa, CTO, Soracom
- Dr. Koji Osawa, Managing Principal and Co-Founder, Global Catalyst Partners
- 5:15 – 5:25 Wrap Up by Allen Miner, CEO of SunBridge Corporation
- 5:25 – 5:30 Closing Remarks by C. Lawrence Greenwood, President of Japan Society of Northern California
- 5:30 – 6:30 Networking Reception
Free for Stanford ID holders. Please email email@example.com with your Stanford.edu email address for complimentary registration.